​​​​Enrollment and School Procedures​​​


Regardless of which school you want to try to enroll your child, you must first register your child at your local neighborhood school.

If you do not know your school of residence, contact your school district office. Each grade span (elementary, middle, and high school) has different enrollment deadlines, and will require specific age-appropriate forms from your school district.

Steps to Enrolling at Your Neighborhood School

1. Provide the required documentation to your neighborhood school:

  • Birth certificate.
  • Immunization and health records.
  • Emergency contact forms.
  • Proofs of residency form and documentation. (3 needed. Examples: PG&E bill, land or cell phone bill, rental agreement, or property tax bill.)

2. Get a Permanent Identification Number (PIN) from the school.

3. If you want your child to attend a school other than your neighborhood school, you must complete an Open Enrollment application, which is available online. Visit your school district website for Open Enrollment dates, deadlines, and requirements. 

School District Policies

Each school district has a parent handbook containing important information. These typically include a school directory, general information, and district policies related to attendance, discipline, enrollment, parental rights and responsibilities, student records, and graduation, as well as opportunities for parent involvement and alternative academic programs.

You must read and sign the parent/student handbook every new school year.

School Policies

  • There may be waivers you must sign that give your child permission to access certain technology, and equipment, as well as a release of liability for school publicity.
  • Proof of residency – some schools require parents to provide proof of residency on an annual basis.
  • Siblings – State law and district policy requires that siblings of students already enrolled be given priority for enrollment.

Reporting Problems

  • All school districts within Santa Clara County are independent and each district has their own policies and procedures.
  • To report an issue at your child's school, please contact your school district's complaint or compliance officer directly.

If you need help finding your local school district, visit​ or call (408) 453-6868.