Please click the Cupertino Site link if your students are attending the Cupertino site.
Dear Outdoor School Coordinator:
Welcome to another great year at Walden West. Listed below is critical outdoor
1. Buses should arrive the first day at 9:30 a.m. On the last day, buses should arrive at 10:45 a.m. in order to prepare for an 11:30 a.m. departure. Walden West staff will not be available to monitor students who arrive early or leave late.
2. Every child must complete a Walden West health form as well as a school-provided field trip release form. Bring the completed, alphabetized health forms to Walden West. The field trip form should travel with the teacher for emergency purposes if an accident occurs on the way to or from Walden West.
3. Students who take medication, prescription or other, are required to complete the Physician Information Form. No medication, including Tylenol or Benadryl, or topical cream can be administered by Walden West unless the physician and parent have signed the form. The form is in the student packet. Before accepting medications from your students, please help us avoid follow-up phone calls by making sure medications are in original containers, the physician form is complete and matches the information on the medication, and the medications and signed physician forms are placed in a one gallon plastic bag with the student's name written on it.4. Friday morning, students eat brunch at 9:00 a.m. You may wish to plan lunch at school for those students who will bus from school to home on Friday.
5. The 2012-2013 outdoor school fees are as follows:
Please let parents know that there are no refunds for students sent home for disciplinary action.
We encourage you to provide your own cabin leaders. Even without the 1 to 12 ratio, you will receive $50.00 off for each cabin leader. There is an enormous benefit in the quality of cabin leaders recruited as well as a price reduction. Look in the packet for the Cabin Leader Recruitment Guide for additional information. Please call our Cabin Leader Liaison at (408) 573-3056 if you have any questions regarding cabin leaders.
6. 5th grade teachers, The Field Trip Foundation provides grants of up to $500 for outdoor, environment-oriented field trips for K-5 classes with 50% or greater participation in subsidized school lunch programs. Contact email@example.com. Science by Nature provides transportation funds to schools with 40% free and reduced. Go to sciencebynature.org to apply.
7. Send your typed cabin groupings and list of students participating in the free and reduced school lunch program a week prior to your arrival. Bring originals to Walden West. Please arrive prepared with all appropriate forms completed and in order.
8. In the event that an emergency occurs while you are attending Walden West, it is important you bring the completed phone tree form (included in the teacher packet) to Walden West.
9. Bring your digital cameras and laptops to create a slide show your students will always remember for Friday's closing ceremony. You can walk away with the perfect slide show for Open House. We also now have consistent wireless access so you can enjoy the internet at your leisure.
10. The direct line to the teachers' room is (408) 573-3061. Feel free to give this number to parents.
As the year continues, we will be contacting your school to schedule a pre-outdoor school visit. We look forward to seeing all of you soon. Have a great year until then.