Certificated Personnel ServicesFollowing are steps in the Certificated Application and Employment Process. For further explanation concerning any of this information please contact Certificated Recruitment Services at the address and telephone number at right.
- STEP I: Submit a Certificated Application Packet
- STEP II: Application Review/Candidate Evaluation
- STEP III: Initial Interview
- STEP IV: Next Steps
- STEP V: Employment Offer and Assignment
- STEP VI: Employment Processing
|STEP I: Submit a Certificated Application Packet|
To be considered for teaching or credentialed employment, a Certificated Employment Application packet must be completed and submitted to Personnel Services. Application packets may be requested at (408) 453-6929. On-line applications are available through the Santa Clara County Office of Education website (www.sccoe.org). Beginning 2004-2005 school year, only online applications will be accepted.
NOTE: An application packet is considered to be incomplete until the following items are received by the Santa Clara County Office of Education (SCCOE):
- Cover letter and resume.
- A completed SCCOE Certificated Online Employment Application
- Copy of California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST)*
- Three (3) letters of reference from immediate supervisor (for the last 5 years of work/school experience). Please ensure that letters are signed.
- Official set of Transcripts with the earned degree posted*
- MSAT/Praxis/SSAT examinations (if applicable). Check www.ctc.ca.gov for testing requirements and changes.
- A copy of credential/license(s) or, if enrolled in a credential program, please include a letter from the college/university verifying acceptance*
* Please mail copies - originals will be required when being processed for employment.
When submitting your application on-line, applicants may also electronically submit any of the supporting documents described above. Application packet should be mailed to:
Personnel Services/Certificated Recruitment
SANTA CLARA COUNTY OFFICE OF EDUCATION
1290 Ridder Park Drive - Mail Code 264
San Jose, CA 95131-2398
NOTE: Applicants should request placement files and transcripts to be sent to the Santa Clara County Office of Education (at the address above) as soon as possible. All applications and supporting documents are reviewed to determine if an applicant is qualified for posted current or anticipated vacancies.
|STEP II: Application Review/Candidate Evaluation|
The Personnel Services Director and staff will review applications and supporting documents to determine the best match between qualified candidates and position requirements. As vacancies become available or staffing needs are determined for which credentials permit consideration, applicants will be contacted by Human Resources to determine their interest and availability.
|STEP III: Initial Interview|
After review, candidates who meet employment criteria are prioritized depending on their qualifications. The most qualified candidates receive the highest priority for interview.
Personnel Services contacts candidates to schedule an interview with a panel of educational professionals who shall evaluate each candidate further and make recommendations to the hiring department.
|STEP IV: Next Steps|
An initial interview may be followed by any combination of the step below:
- An interview with a panel from the hiring department.
- A one-to-one interview with the hiring manager.
- An interview with the County Superintendent of Schools.
|STEP V: Employment Offer and Assignment|
When a candidate is selected, the hiring department will discuss the general terms of employment, the anticipated assignment, and will submit an Employment Authorization to Personnel Services. Personnel Services contacts the successful candidate to verify the assignment, answer specific questions, and discuss the process and placement of initial salary.
An official employment offer is then mailed to the candidate. The candidate should review the offer, contact Personnel Services with any additional questions, sign and return the offer letter to Personnel Services to accept employment with the SCCOE.
Because SCCOE program sites and student populations continually change, all teaching contracts are issued "subject to assignment," no one is guaranteed a specific school assignment. The hiring department assigns staff in accordance with the needs of the student programs, considering the preferences and qualifications of staff.
|STEP VI: Employment Processing|
The successful candidate will be contacted by a Personnel Services Specialist to schedule an employment processing appointment. An I-9 form is required by the U.S. Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA). To complete this form, a certificated employment candidate must bring valid picture identification and documents that establish employment eligibility (e.g., social security card). The Employment candidate must also bring a social security card for payroll purposes. Employment processing includes the following:
- Negative results of a chest x-ray or intradermal tuberculin test taken
within the last 60 days prior to employment by a private physician or county
- If selected for a safety sensitive position or assignment, a physical
examination paid by the Office.
- Fingerprint clearance by the California Department of Justice (DOJ)
- Verification of the credential eligibility according to the assignment.
- Candidates (in regular, provisional, or temporary contracts of at least a
50%) are informed of and may enroll in available health and welfare benefits
(eligible dependents should also be enrolled at this time). Candidates may
choose from three (3) hospital/medical plans. Dental and vision coverage is
also provided along with term life, disability and business traveling
The SCCOE contributes to the California State Teachers Retirement System (CALSTRS). Employees also contribute to their retirement.
- Candidates sign their contract and are appointed by the County Superintendent of Schools.
Date last updated: March 8, 2010